Oct 22, 2007

Mid-Range Jumpers


The leaves are a-changing, the weather’s starting to dip…but since I’m back in Atlanta, which means the local highs are only the mid 70s. It also means basketball season is right around the corner, and before we get to my preseason look at the Association, I get to welcome everyone back to the weekly (whatever) look at the sports world, where we celebrate the lost art of the Mid Range Jumper.

- Atlanta has been ‘rewarded’ with a WNBA team. Great, we can’t fill Turner Field, the Falcons stink, the Thrashers got their coach fired in 6 games, the Hawks are wearing blue, and our answer is to drop a JV team into the city. Just great.

- Marion Jones admitted to using performance enhancing drugs, and as commanded me by the sports gods, I shall deem her evil. Pure evil.

- Everyone has heard of Rocktober, and the amazing run that Colorado has been on. Why has no one brought up the fact that as they continued the run, the lead story EVERY NIGHT on the Worldwide Leader was about Joe Torre?

- Craig Hormann….Craig Hormann…Craig Hormann….Craig Hormann….

- Word from the shield is that they could one day play a Super Bowl overseas, in London. I could one day sprout wings and fly out of my office. Neither is very likely.

- Homecoming when I was playing was just another game, another Saturday, though it was nice to see some old teammates after the game. Homecoming as an alum is the greatest, most
perfect couple of days ever invented. It is Christmas, Hanukkah and my birthday all rolled into one, and I am counting the hours until next year.

- I wonder if Tatum Bell hangs out with his kids based on what he is wearing so that he can match them, like you would match shoes and a belt.

- Why did Belichik think he could get away with filming the Jets using a camera from 1977? Don’t they make tiny, spy type joints now?

- The SEC has been so nuts this year, UGA might be able to beat Florida next weekend. Maybe.

- USF? Really? Good riddance.

No one cares about Fantasy Football, especially when they aren’t in the discussed league, but I feel like ranting, so I’m going to: B, I feel so bad that you fell for the ruse. You cruised out to a big 6-0 start, made a decent trade, and got mad cocky on the message board. Going so far as to re-name your team Bill Belichik? Got a little ahead of yourself. Barring a serious injury to Peyton tonight, you’re finna take a big, streak ending L. Unlike the man you named your team after, you drank the Kool-Aid, and now you’re done.



If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this; enjoy it but never quite believe it.

- Robert Montgomery

No comments: