Nov 5, 2008

America

I don't care who you voted for, I don't care what you believe in, I don't care your reaction to the results of the election.

I am legitimately thrilled at the numbers of people who came out, and the involvement of a sector of people who would have not been engaged otherwise. I am saddened by the attitudes of some of the people I consider friends (on BOTH sides) as expressed through our new various forms of constant e-communication.

Obama's speech after getting the win.

If that doesn't inspire you...if that doesn't touch something inside you, then I got nothing for you.

Except maybe this.

At 2 AM, in the streets of Harlem, NY, this scene was captured of something that could not be explained or contained by anyone:



Alot of people have said that his campaign was smoke and mirrors, alot of talk, that talk means nothing.

And they're right.

They are absolutely right, words with nothing behind them are, like Sophocles said, "castles in the air."

But these detractors are overlooking something. He has ALREADY backed up his words.

I have no idea what he will do as a President, but you cannot deny that he has been an amazing leader as a candidate. He created, from NOTHING, a whole new coalition of voters, all across America.

He did it without taking PAC money, without taking Federal matching funds, without taking corporate donations. He did it his way. He did it by inspiring people, lots of people that are very different, to stand behind him. They kept talking about this on MSNBC, but its true--he didn't cobble together a majority. He created a new block of voters, who have never voted as a group before.

To inspire that many people, in that major of a way--that is leadership . This is no comment on his politics, only on his ability to inspire and lead people, and the evidence he can do that is in front of your face. He became President, and he did by leading America.

More detractors have said that his policies are bad, or faulty. I don't agree with Barak Obama on all of his stated policy positions. Hell, if I agreed with any politician on all their stances, I'd check myself into an asylum. But, great Presidents aren't defined by policy decision alone.

There are definitely Presidential policies that do impact the nation, but a lot of it is just arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. What DOES matter is how to President LEADS, and this man can flat out lead. Think about it--who are the great leaders in American history? Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy? Now go examine their policy positions. Do you agree with all of them? Did they even do everything right? Of course not. But does that mean they were poor leaders? No.

They inspired something that this country has been bereft of for a while now: actual, genuine hope for tomorrow. My thoughts on the campaigns and the historic nature of this election will be shared later this week, when all this sinks in...I just wanted to get this all out now.

2 comments:

mrhodes said...

First... only you could find a way to include your love for Leonardo DiCapprio into a political blog!!! I guess you "NEVER LET GO"... haha

second... i love real clear politics... good site.

Last... I feel ya.

DPalm66 said...

My love for that wondrous film is NOT, I repeat NOT, on trial here.