Did you catch Oden last night? - Stretch
I would hope that by now, my friends would realize that if there is an NBA Basketball game on the television, I will be in front of it. Unless there's something else on. Anyway, here are a few of my knee jerk reactions to week 1 of NBA action.
- Maybe the Hawks aren't terrible. Maybe that bench can hold up for 82 games. Maybe we didn't win because it was a Magic team with no one to back up Jameer Nelson. Maybe Duncan is right. NAHHHHHHHHHHH.
- "You gotta be careful overreacting to one game" - Rick Carlisle, new coach of the Dallas Mavericks. Um, if your team goes 6-24 in the fourth quarter, when their problem since they MADE the finals has been closing out games/season, you may want to react.
- The Celtics are as good as advertised.
- Greg Oden (and by extension, the Trailblazers) are in trouble.
- The Rockets looked really good. REALLY GOOD, even with McGrady injured and watching alot of the game. They hung with a high scoring Mavs team, with Yao dropping 30, and Mr. Ron Artest dropping 29. He stays happy, they stay winning.
- The Lakers reupped with Bynum. They're convinced he's 100%. Looking at another young center with knee problems who they played opening night, I'm not convinced this was the best idea.
Finally, the List. The List is the teams that, when they come to town, I will do anything to acquire tickets to see these teams in person. ANYTHING.
1. Cavaliers - Duh. Look, if this is LeBron's big coming out year, I demand to see a game in person.
2. Hornets - Oh, what could have been...I read somewhere that the Human Ally-Oop Machine that is Chris Paul should have to play one exhibition game a year with Josh Smith and Joe Johnson, just so Atlanta fans have something more to cry about. I hate this.
3. Nuggets - Until they trade AI, my all-time favorite player.
4. New AI Team - Barring it is not Minnesota or Indiana, we're all good.
5. Memphis - They're young and look entertaining on paper.
6. Lakers - I want to see the Kobe show live. I admit it.
7. Celtics - Their first trip to Phillips this year is Wednesday, December 17. I already have a ticket. You should get one too, and see if Zaza bucks on KG again.
Those are my 7, with Miami as an alternate if AI doesn't get traded (he will). Without further ado, the hopefully triumphant return of the picks...home team, as always in bold.
Toronto/Buffalo (-5.5) over Jets
The Bills were exposed last week, look for them to bounce back at home.
Chicago (-12) over Detroit
I don't like this line, it feels way too high, but the Lions have been awful. And does ANYONE know how to spell that quarterback's name?
Cincy (+7.5) over Jacksonville
Have the Jags beat anyone this year by more than 7?
Cleveland (-1.5) over Baltimore
Joe Flacco on the road? Yes please.
Tennessee (-4.5) over Green Bay
The Titans have to lose eventually. Just not this week.
Tampa Bay (-9) over Kansas City
The Bucs should be ashamed at the meltdown against Dallas last week, and should get right against an awful Kansas City team. Sidenote: at this point, what do Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards have to do to get fired? Admit to betting against their teams? Moon the owners box? I mean, I never wanna see a man lose his job, but when you are begging for it like these two...
Arizona (-3) over St. Louis
I dunno. I really don't. Why does someone have to win the NFC West? Weren't we all agreeing that the Rams were the worst team in football a few weeks back? Could one of these teams really win the West? Ugh.
Houston (+4.5) over Minnesota
Three straight road picks, and these games aren't even moderately interesting. One more week of byes, and then we're back to a full slate. Looking back on this, the only game I want to see so far is the Titans/Packers.
Miami (+3) over Denver
The bye week isn't going to help their defensive woes, as they lost their best corner Champ Bailey for some time in the Patriots game. Woah. Was that actual football talk and not just stupid jokes? Better keep moving.
Atlanta (-3) over Oakland
ALL THESE GAMES ARE AWFUL!!! And I just know I'm going to be sitting down, watching this nonsense.
Giants (-9) over Dallas
Brad Johnson. Giants pass rush. Brad Johnson. Giants pass rush. Brooks Bollinger!
Philly (-7) over Seattle
Dare I tease Giants/Eagles? I know that both teams are going to win, but my teases have been so bad I'm so gun shy...ah screw it. The OLASB, TEASE OF THE WEEK: Giants/Eagles. You're welcome, and I will accept 10% of your winnings.
Indy (-6) over New England
It's get right time in Indianapolis. They lose this one, kiss the playoffs goodbye, and get planning for next year.
Washington (-1.5) over Pittsburgh
I'm pretty torn here, since the Zorn era has gone fairly smoothly thus far, Campbell has looked good, and so has Portis. The Steelers have no running attack, and I like the Skins' passing defense. But the Steelers have been winning games weird all year...avoid at all costs. At least I will be.